Skip Navigation

UNL Webcast

Media rich academic content at your fingertips

May Status Update

May 7th, 2009 by Todd

Current Status:

•    Server is fully available, accounts are being manually generated at this time
•    Upon account generation, faculty will download the client and config mic
•    Record what’s needed, workflow handles upload, encode, and publish location
•    Server communicates back to the client through e-mail process
•    Still refining e-mail process, documentation, and training for step by step myUNL content publishing

Timeline:

April-May
•    Finalize procedures, documentation, and account generation
•    Identify multiple faculty/uses for recording
•    Verify classroom locations for pilot
•    Refine web site details
May-August
•    Troubleshoot issues as needed
•    Verify published supported locations
•    Implement updated version with proper LDAP support
August-October
•    Launch website publically
•    Promote through presentations to technology groups and committees
•    Troubleshoot/support as needed

Support Responsibility:

Classroom team

•    Verify supported room location

•     Client software installed, audio to line or desktop
•     Software properly configured in cases of audio into supported classroom PC

NMC team
•    Workflow issues, file publishing, myUNL integration
•    User login issues outside of LDAP which helpdesk will support
•    Server connection issues (server not available)

Draft Public Site

Relay LDAP configuration and GP classroom recording

February 10th, 2009 by Todd

The deliverables for this project have nearly been completed, one of my main tasks is to involve more people, more video and audio, and more class integration.

Lisa has successfully configured our Relay server to work with LDAP, though we’ve found a difficult scenario that may slow the finalization. Relay only allows a single user level to be assigned to any given user. At UNL, for good reason, we are only allowed 1 LDAP user account. Upon implementing the LDAP login layer, we lost the opportunity to be both an administrator and a user. At this time we don’t have a work around. This isn’t a problem for 99.9% of the users, though for those that need to show the system from a user perspective as well as administrator of the system it is a huge problem. It is not a show stopper by any means, just a need for a work around.

My next goal is to encourage IS to eat a bit of it’s own dog food and try it on a few meetings that we will be having in the coming weeks. It will give me valuable feedback whether the process is simple enough to follow. I’m awaiting to hear back whether it’s a go for our general staff meeting or not.

I also received communication back regarding recording capabilities in our general purpose classrooms. Though this list is always being modified and updated here are the current levels of support for recording:

501 22        – Can audio capture with Polycom
ANDN 15     – Audio capture cable on desk
ARCH 127   – Audio capture cable plugged into PC
AVH 115      – Audio capture on desk
BEAD E103 – Audio capture cable plugged into PC
BESY 117    – Audio capture cable plugged into PC
BURN 115    – Audio capture cable on desk
CBA 143      – Audio capture cable on desk
CBA 25        – Audio capture cable on desk
HENZ 124    – Audio capture cable on desk
MABL 128   – Can audio capture with Polycom
M&N B5       – Audio capture cable on desk
MORR 141  – Audio capture cable on desk
RH 15          – Audio capture cable on desk
RVB 124      – Audio capture cable plugged into PC
TEAC 202    – Can audio capture with Polycom
WSEC 111   – Can audio capture with Polycom

These rooms have yet to be fully tested, we will be installing the Relay client systematically and after fully tested I will initiate an inquiry of the professors in the room to garner interest in recording their classes.

Project Managers – 01.20.2009

January 21st, 2009 by Todd

Attendees-Gary Aerts, Jeff Erb, Paul Erickson, Dale Finkelson, Fred Gardy, Todd Jensen, Ron Roeber,  Sharon Shanon, Dave Spanel, Grace Wang, and  Jon Wilson.

Project Managers need to send Jon final documentation to be published on the IS site by Friday, 1/23 at latest. If communication plan defines communication through meeting minutes, then it is important for PMs to get those  to Jon as well.

A question was asked regarding director sign-off sheets. Gary mentioned that the managers can keep those. The form was created to keep open communications between the directors and sponsor.

Plan to present project status at the general IS Staff meeting, sometime in February. In between Feb and May IS staff meeting a one-on-one will be scheduled. Project team meetings should be occurring as needed or defined by your communications plan.

Approval of purchasing with exception of Identity Management and Virtualization, move forward. A prioritization of various funding needs will be made at various levels in the upcoming weeks. Some discussion regarding classroom funding and models to support ongong funding was also discussed.

Next meeting to be determined.

Relay Documentation Draft #1

January 9th, 2009 by Todd

Thanks Donald for putting together a Cam Relay Instruction Draft 1 pdf describing the Camtasia Relay process. Following is the document verbatim:

Camtasia Relay is a simple way to record your lectures and store them on a common server to be accessed by students later.

Getting started is easy:

1.    Contact [admin] to get an account name and password. You will be asked to fill out a request form specifying the room from which you’ll be teaching, the class and other information to help the administrators understand your specific needs.

2.    Open Camtasia Relay Recorder from the desktop of the computer from which you are teaching and login using the account information provided by [admin].

login_screen2

3.    Give the lecture a title and provide a brief description providing any pertinent details.

settings3

4.    Notice that as you speak into the microphone you use to reinforce your voice in the classroom, the volume meter will move to indicate the recorder is receiving the audio.
5.    Open any materials such as Power Point or Keynote presentations you will be using to present your lecture. Note: Anything on the computer screen will be captured while you are in record mode including video, web pages, etc., but the playback quality of video will be diminished to facilitate smaller file sizes; therefore it is advised not to playback video on your ‘capture’ computer.
6.    If you wish, before starting your presentation, you may push the ‘test’ button to make a ten second recording to be sure your voice is at an appropriate volume and the screen is being captured.

recorder6

7.    When you are ready to begin your lecture, simply push the ‘Record’ button.
8.    You are now recording your voice and everything on the computer you are using.
9.    If you wish to pause the recording process go to the task bar, select the Relay icon and push ‘Pause.’ To resume, push ‘Resume,’ it’s that simple.
10.    When your lecture is over, push stop. A preview of the completed recording will appear; you may preview it if you wish.

submit10

11.    Push ‘Submit’ to upload the recording to the file server.
12.    Log out of the Camtasia Recorder program. You are finished and your lecture will be available for download shortly.

Revolabs Microphones

January 7th, 2009 by Todd

Though not intrinsically part of the project, audio recording capability and quality is the heart of content. We will be bringing in a microphone system from Revolabs to test, specifically for faculty using their own laptops and classrooms outside of those specifically supported by our classroom team.

Xtag Microphone System

There is another system they have developed that may have great value in higher quality meeting recordings using border mics that we currently possess.  I have had many requests for microphone specifications, this may be the best alternatitive to high-end RF wireless systems.

Camtasia Relay server status update

January 6th, 2009 by Todd

Things have begun to roll, whether we like it or not. Lisa was able to upgrade our Camtasia Relay Server to a working demo. Hopefully I will get full approval for the project and move foward with the purchase. Once approved, I plan to follow through with the deliverables as planned as well as present a new proposal for extending the service, features, and support. The Relay Server implementation is a great segway for people already using Camtasia Studio, but limited in it’s LMS integration capabilities.

Project Managers – 12.23.2008

January 5th, 2009 by Todd

Attendees-Gary Aerts, Todd Brindley, Jeff Erb, Paul Erickson, Pam Holley-Wilcox, Todd Jensen, Ron Roeber, Michael Ruhrdanz, Sharon Shanon, Grace Wang, Jon Wilson.

Send project charter, statement of work, and potentially meeting minutes to Jon Wilson.

To do’s

  • Meet with project sponsor the week of January 5 or 12.

Final project docs

December 23rd, 2008 by Todd

I’ve nearly completed the project documentation. We have a meeting today to finalize our paths. Yet to do today is to get sign-off from my director as an ok to spend time designated in the project. I also need to get signoff from other managers in IS of people that I’ve designated on the working team. This should not be a major task due to the small omount of effort that it should take to implement. I’ve added a project elaboration document as wall as a short to-do list which I’ve not yet completed.

Agile Government

December 19th, 2008 by Todd

I ran across two interesting items, one being Scribd document sharing, just another place to look for things outside of google, youTube, etc. But more importantly the concept of ‘Agile’ Government. This is a radical change in thought, not specifically related to our institution, but ideas that could be embraced none the less.Towards Agile Government

 

Project Managers – 12.09.2008

December 12th, 2008 by Todd

Attendees- Jeff Erb, Paul Erickson, Dale Finkelson, Fred Gardy, Todd Jensen, Ron Roeber, Michael Ruhrdanz, Sharon Shanon, Grace Wang,  Jon Wilson.

Michael discussed a concept of following project guidelines, important items of budget, time lines, etc. Not only are the projects themselves highly important but Michael reiterated that just as important is the process that the project managers are utilizing and working toward specifically developing project management skills.

I asked a question regarding the IS area directors’ engagement. Michael’s response was that their primary role is to be a resource to the project managers. This is reassuring and I plan to utilize this more. Michael also asked us to provide feedback regarding our current state completion and in particular the weekly meetings. Generally I thought the consensus was that everyone needs to work closely with their stakeholders, teams, and directors.

I was encouraged by the meeting and Michaels words of encouragement. I completely understand the importance of the projects as well as the role of the project managers to communicate to everyone involved. My hope today is to continue to elaborate documentation. I didn’t note if we were going to meet again next week (12-16) or instead we were to spend more time with Todd B. and other resources as needed.